1. Purpose of this policy
The purpose of the Complaints Policy (this Policy) is to set out how Spaceship will deal with customer complaints.
It's important to us that we meet our customers' expectations and provide the best possible experience in your dealings with Spaceship. If we do not meet your expectations, please let us know. Resolving your complaint is important to us.
Spaceship values customer feedback and views customer complaints as a mechanism to provide us with opportunities to learn, and improve the operations of our business and the level of service we provide.
We are committed to providing a clear and easy complaint handling process so customers understand how to make a complaint, what to expect after lodging a complaint, and what your options are if you are not satisfied with the final outcome of your complaint.
We treat all expressions of dissatisfaction relating to our products, services or staff or about the handling of a complaint itself as a formal complaint. You do not have to explicitly state that you would like to lodge a complaint or put your complaint in writing for it to be treated as a complaint.
2. How to lodge a complaint with us
You can lodge a complaint with us either verbally or in writing through any of the following ways:
Chat: Contact us via the chat function, which can be found in the lower right corner of our website and web app or via the “Contact” tab in the Spaceship mobile app.
Phone: 1300 049 532
When lodging a complaint with us, it is helpful to provide us with your:
- Full name;
- Contact details;
- Details of your complaint (including any relevant attachments or documentation); and
- The outcome you are seeking.
Please note, there is no cost to you to raise a complaint with us.
If your current circumstances have placed you in a vulnerable position or you are living with a disability or language barrier, please reach out so we can assess what other measures may be available to assist you. Examples of customers who may be in a vulnerable position include those who:
- are experiencing domestic or financial abuse;
- have a serious or terminal illness;
- are experiencing severe financial hardship.
If you have a disability or language barrier we can provide you with easy accessibility options such as;
- A scheduled telephone call or video call with one of our customer support team members;
- Access to the National Relay Service;
- Access to translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National).
If English is not your first language we are happy to provide a translated version of this Policy upon request, where possible. An audio version can also be provided upon request. These accommodations are made available at no charge to our customers.
3. Acknowledging your complaint
We pride ourselves on our customer service and will endeavour to solve your concerns fairly and quickly. Once we receive your complaint, we will aim to acknowledge your complaint within one business day or as soon as practicable in writing (via email or live chat) or verbally on the phone. A reference number for your complaint can be made available to you or your representative upon request.
4. Resolving your complaint
We will do our best to resolve your complaint in the first instance. It is important to us to provide the best possible outcome for our customers. While we may not always be able to provide the outcome you want, we can promise you that our team will handle your complaint with care and empathy, and without bias.
If we are unable to resolve your complaint immediately, our complaints handling team will investigate your concerns further, gathering all relevant facts and information needed to make a fair and appropriate decision. We will do our best to keep you fully informed during this process.
If we do not hear back from you after an initial response is provided we will close your complaint after two business days. We will let you know that your complaint will be closed and you are always welcome to revisit the issue at a later date.
5. Formal Response Timeframes
Where we are not able to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction within five business days, or where you request a written response, or where it is in relation to a proposed death benefit distribution or Spaceship Super Trustee decision, we will provide a written response. Strict timeframes apply. You can expect to receive a formal response via email within:
- 30 calendar days for general complaints;
- 30 calendar days for complaints about Spaceship Voyager or the Spaceship US Investing Service;
- 45 calendar days for complaints about Spaceship Super (Please refer to our Trustee Complaints Policy for more information.)
* If your complaint is in relation to a proposed decision about a superannuation death benefit distribution you must lodge your objection within 28 calendar days after having received a notice of the proposal. A formal response will be provided to you by the Trustee of Spaceship Super within 90 calendar days after this 28-day objection period.
If we are unable to provide a written response within any of the timeframes listed above, we may refer your complaint to AFCA with your permission. You will also receive a delay notification. This would only happen where there are complex circumstances involving the complaint or due to something outside of our control which has caused us not to meet those timeframes.
6. What to expect in a formal response
Formal written responses will always include:
- our understanding of your complaint;
- the date your complaint was received;
- a summary of the key facts and circumstances giving rise to your complaint;
- our position on whether we accept your view of the complaint and a decision on whether we are able to meet your desired outcome;
- a reason for our decision if we are unable to provide your desired outcome;
- an outline of the actions we have taken or will take to resolve your complaint, if required; and
- your options on how to escalate your complaint if you are not happy with our response
7. Closing your complaint
Once your complaint has been managed via our complaints management process and either a formal response has been issued or we have received verbal or written confirmation from you that you are satisfied with the actions taken to resolve your complaint, your complaint will be closed.
We may otherwise close your complaint if:
- the complaint is not in relation to products or services we offer, in relation to our staff or the handling of a complaint itself;
- the complaint purely relates to a commercial decision we have made; or
- if there is nothing further we can reasonably do to address your complaint.
If your complaint is closed under one of the exceptions listed above we will let you know and provide AFCA's details should you decide to take your complaint further.
If an issue has not been resolved to your satisfaction, you can lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).
AFCA is an impartial and independent not-for-profit that assists consumers and small businesses to reach agreements with financial firms to resolve their complaints. This service is free to consumers.
The contact details for AFCA are:
Telephone: 1800 931 678
Fax: (03) 9613 639
Post: Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC, 3001
Zero tolerance for abuse
Our team members are entitled to a safe and healthy working environment. We do not condone or tolerate bullying, harassment, abuse or aggressive & intimidating behaviour towards our staff. We appreciate you treating our team with respect as we do our best to resolve your concerns.
We appreciate when our customers take time to provide feedback and give us the opportunity to resolve any concerns. If you are unhappy with your experience at Spaceship, please let us know and we will treat your concerns as a matter of priority.